When I suspect viruses or malware on a Windows PC I like to start it in Safe Mode and run my scans there. This prevents things from starting up and enables the utilities to do a better job in finding the bad stuff and cleaning your PC.
In previous versions of Windows you had to be quick about mashing down on your F8 key to get into safe mode to fix problems. Thankfully, now in Windows 8 you can tell the OS to boot up into safe mode, making this process easier. The trouble is, how you actually do that is easy yet a bit convoluted. Here’s a quick how-to:
From Start screen:
- Type PC settings and click on the PC Strings icon
- Click on Update and Recovery
- Click on Recovery
- Under Advanced startup, click restart now
- Click Troubleshoot
- Click Advanced options
- Click Startup Settings
- Click Restart
Your computer will reboot and present a menu of options. Choose #4 for Safe Mode
Now, if you want to scan your computer from malware and viruses, follow these steps after the reboot.
After the PC reboots:
- Go to Start screen
- Type Windows Defender
- Select the Full option and click Scan now
- The scan will start. Could take awhile depending on how full your hard drive is.
When the scan complete you can reboot