Web curation for May 24th 2010 through May 28th 2010
Filtering the web so you don’t have to for May 24th 2010 through May 28th 2010:
- Time Magazine Names Foursquare and Farmville Among Worst Inventions –
Foursquare and Farmville are among the world’s worst inventions, at least according to TIME.com’s list of “The 50 Worst Inventions.”
The list of “the world’s bright ideas that just didn’t work out” included both the location-based social game Foursquare and Zynga’s Farmville, among other items that ranged from tanning beds to spam e-mail. Foursquare, which Mashable’s Jennifer Van Grove just reported is nearing 1 million check.. show all text
- Travelocity Gnome Now Roaming on Foursquare –
Already moonlighting on Chatroulette, the beloved Travelocity Roaming Gnome has decided to participate in the location-sharing movement as well, and will be updating followers about his exotic whereabouts on Foursquare.
The move rounds out the Gnome’s social media portfolio — which, in addition to Chatroulette, includes a very active presence on Facebook and Twitter.
Fans can look for the gnome to check in at various locations across London over the course of the weekend, says .. show all text
- Foursquare Nearing 1 Million Checkins Per Day –
A tweet from Foursquare yesterday revealed that the company is doing “10+ checkins per second.” We did the math and at 10 checkins per second, Foursquare is processing about 36,000 checkins per hour — putting the daily checkin total somewhere around 864,000.
In fact, once Foursquare hits 11.58 checkins per second — a milestone foreseeable in the very near future — it will be processing over 1 million checkins per day.
Foursquare is all the rage right now and h.. show all text
- The next Apple TV revealed: cloud storage and iPhone OS on tap… and a $99 price tag — Engadget –
If you thought that Apple’s foray into the world of home entertainment died with the last iteration of the Apple TV, you’re quite wrong. A tip we’ve received — which has been confirmed by a source very close to Apple — details the outlook for the next version of the Apple TV, and it’s a doozy. According to our sources, this project has been in the works long before Google announced its TV solution, and it ties much more closely into Apple’s mobile offerings. The new architecture of the dev.. show all text
- Apple Reveals New Service for Authors to Sell Their Books Directly in the iBookstore | Mac|Life –
- Facebook Leads in the Top 1,000 Sites [STATS] –
According to Google’s AdPlanner stats, Facebook is the #1 most-visited destination on the web. Weighing in at an unfathomably heavy 570 billion page views and 540 million users, the ubiquitous social network outranks every other non-Google site, taking more than 35% of all web traffic measured.
The stats, which do not include data from Google.com and YouTube, detail the categories, users and page views for each of the top 1,000 sites on the Internet. They also tell which sites have a.. show all text
- Non-Profit Uses Foursquare to Raise Environmental Awareness –
Earthjustice, a non-profit public interest law firm, has blanketed San Francisco BART trains with posters that instruct riders to check in to the “Earthjustice ad” on Foursquare to help the firm raise money to support its wildlife protection initiatives.
The posters take a critical look at environmental issues in the news, such as the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. That particular poster — as seen above — reads, “Use your cell phone to drill the oil ind.. show all text
- From Twitter – Cool. RT @northlight Google releases CloudCourse course scheduling system http://ow.ly/1QE9d #education
- Apple Passes Microsoft as Most Valuable Tech Company –
Apple has just surpassed Microsoft in market capitalization and is now second only to Exxon Mobil among U.S. companies.
The data is changing second by second. Apple and Microsoft have switched back and forth a number of times over the past hour, but with Apple’s stock up and Microsoft’s down, it looks like Apple will likely end the day in the second position. Market capitalization is calculated by multiplying the share price times the number of outstanding shares. It is often .. show all text
- Making Control Simple | Facebook –
- Firefox Losing Early Adopters to Chrome – Will Mainstream Users Follow? –
Google Chrome has had a big impact on the browser market since its release in September 2008. The latest report from NetMarketShare puts Chrome at 6.73% market share, ahead of Safari on 4.72% and behind only IE (59.95%) and Firefox (24.59%).
What’s more interesting about Chrome is the activity it’s enjoying from early adopters and geeks. Our own browser statistics at ReadWriteWeb show that Chrome was used by 17.89% of our readers in April, putting it behind only Firefox (38.95%) and IE (24.76.. show all text
- Inspire food love — introduce your kid to the kitchen –
- Job Details –
- Google is keeping Pacman! – Use this URL to chomp before you search.
- Official: HP Slate Will Run WebOS – HP will announce more details after the completion of the Palm acquisition at the end of July.
- Oil reaches Louisiana shores – The Big Picture – Boston.com –
Over one month after the initial explosion and sinking of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig, crude oil continues to flow into the Gulf of Mexico, and oil slicks have slowly reached as far as 12 miles into Louisiana’s marshes. According to Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, more than 65 miles of Louisiana’s shoreline has now been oiled. BP said it will be at least Wednesday before they will try using heavy mud and cement to plug the leak, a maneuver called a “top kill” that represents their.. show all text
- Twitter Bans All Third Party Ad Platforms Injecting In-stream advertising –
- From Twitter – via @alleyinsider Finally! Google Reveals The Split On AdSense $GOOG by @jeffjarvis http://bit.ly/8Zb6Wa
- Family Guy – s8 | e20 – Something, Something, Something Dark Side –