Tech News – October 7th 2012
Tech news – October 7th 2012
- iPhone 5 Purple Haze Issue – Business Insider –
- Kevin SmithApple has been pretty good lately about admitting when it is wrong.
Last week, CEO Tim Cook issued an apology for the horrific Maps experience in iOS 6.
Today, the iPhone maker has released a support document addressing another issue: a purple haze in iPhone 5 photos.
Over the past few days, iPhone 5 users have been reporting a "purple haze" prevalent in photos.
The issue is official described as, "a purplish or other colored flare, haze, or spot is imaged from out-of-scene bright light sources… show all text
- Nokia has plans to directly sell and promote its Lumia Windows Phones in US malls | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews –
- Daniel RubinoNokia has done direct marketing and sales in Europe but never in the US
From a new job posting that was sent in to Windows Phone Central, it appears that Nokia will be hiring folks from November 12th through December 31st to work in direct retail situations in mall kiosks and shops in the US.
The job requests are smartly being targeted at colleges where students could surely use the extra money and who would be more familiar with the nomenclature. We’re actually a bit excited to see this as it … show all text
- Big Bird Appears on ‘SNL,’ Talks About Tweets [VIDEO] –
- Charlie WhiteAfter a three-day silence, Big Bird appeared on Saturday Night Live's "Weekend Update" to comment about his newfound fame and his tweeting habit.
More About: Big Bird, debate, saturday night live, snl, trending
- Twitter Dominates Live TV Because Social TV Is Failing | TechCrunch –
- Somrat NiyogiEditor’s note: Somrat Niyogi is the CEO of Miso.
Every time I turn on the TV, I see Twitter. Hashtags and Twitter handles are on TV shows. There are dedicated pages to world events like the Olympic Games. Even entertainment news reporting has been transformed because the general population can get in touch with what’s happening in the lives of celebrities instantaneously. (Russell Crowe is in fact safe thanks to the New York Coast Guard that was nearby).
But why is Twitter everywhere on TV?
Fir… show all text
- Don’t Let Privacy Fear Defeat Innovation | TechCrunch –
- Josh ConstineSurvival in a harsher age. That’s why we evolved to fear for our privacy. We needed somewhere secret to sleep, defecate, or have sex so someone couldn’t run up and club us while we were vulnerable.
Times have changed but we carry the fear like a vestigial wing. If we don’t stay conscious of our bias towards privacy, it could retard the progress of innovation.
Though closely linked, there is a difference between the need for privacy and the need for safety.
Keeping our credit card or Social Secu… show all text
- Apple Officially Responds to iPhone 5 Purple Haze Complaints –
- Seth FiegermanApple has publicly acknowledged the iPhone 5's purple flare issue with a response posted to its support page online.
More About: apple, iphone, iphone camera, trending
- New Rural Light and Book Installations by Rune Guneriussen | Colossal –
- Christopher JobsonA grid of physical entities, 2012
A capacity to breed and recover, 2011
Circle of reception, 2011
An upward displacement, 2010
Resound with an echo, 2011
Revisit the revolution, 2012
Second system of ethics, 2012
Science of planting forest, 2010
Norwegian conceptual artist Rune Guneriussen (previously) explores a fascinating balance of human culture and nature with his outdoor installations of electric lamps, stacked books, chairs, and phones that appear to have gathered in small herds… show all text
- Twitter UK: David Cameron Joins Twitter –
- TwitterUKUK Prime Minister David Cameron has joined Twitter, making him the 370th UK MP on the platform. You can follow him at @David_Cameron. He sent his first Tweet last night (Saturday October 6):
I'm starting Conference with this new Twitter feed about my role as Conservative Leader. I promise there won't be "too many tweets…" — David Cameron (@David_Cameron) October 6, 2012
Cameron joins the ranks of other world leaders on Twitter, including US President Barack Obama (@BarackObama), Venezuelan… show all text
- OpenStack Foundation Exec Director to Keynote at Cloud Expo Silicon Valley | Cloud Computing Journal –
Jonathan Bryce, the Executive Director of the newly-formed OpenStack Foundation, and who has spent his entire career building the cloud, is to give the opening keynote at 11th Cloud Expo | Cloud Expo Silicon Valley, being held at the Santa Clara Convention Center, Santa Clara, CA, November 5-8, 2012. The OpenStack Foundation promotes the development, distribution and adoption of the OpenStack cloud operating system. As the independent home for OpenStack, the Foundation has already attracted more show all text
- Boston Media Makers –
- Four lessons from a single successful tweet | SreeTips – CNET News –
- Sree SreenivasanWhat I learned from a single tweet about Facebook's one-billion mark.
- Who Holds the Power in Media – Content or Distribution? | PandoDaily –
- David PakmanOn Friday night, Chris Dixon (@cdixon), Jonathan Glick (@jonathanglick), Peter Kafka (@pkafka), Todd Sawicki (@sawickipedia) and I had a conversation on Twitter about media concentration and where the power lies these days. It was inspired by an Erin Griffith (@eringriffith) post called “Spotify’s Best Chance at Beating the Digital Streaming “Suicide Pact” Is With Ads“. Chris assigned me the homework of blogging about it, so here goes.
Typically, as a distributor gains scale with lots of custom… show all text
- I Am For the Mad Ones | Strong Opinions @marksbirch –
I Am For the Mad Ones Often the things we take for granted in the present we dismissed in the past. We do not think twice about the computers we work on, the Internet that informs us, the jets that we…
- Twitter / @NASASocial/SpaceX CRS-1 –
- Twitter / SpaceX: Falcon 9 and #Dragon on the … –
Instantly connect to what's most important to you. Follow your friends, experts, favorite celebrities, and breaking news.