Do you exchange business cards with people? Of course you do. Everyone goes to networking events or exchanges cards as a matter of course during the business day. The thing is people end up with a stack of cards when they get back home or to the office and a to do list item to enter those cards into their contact manager. Or, worse, your card ends up in a stack in a drawer and that valuable service you provide goes irretrievable by any useful method.
This is where DropCards come in. Go to www.mydropcard.com and set up a profile. You will need to enter your cell phone number as your account (this is how you are verified) and set up a password. You will then enter the usual information that is contained on your business card. You can even set up separate profiles for Business or Personal.
The magic comes in 2 parts. First, when someone give you their email address or business card, simply take out your mobile phone and Text drop and their email to 41411 (e.g., drop email@example.com). The person will then get your all your contact information along with a vCard attachment. vCards are the second part of the magic. They are specially formatted file that will let most contact management tools import the contact data so no retyping is needed. Additionally, DropCard stores the email address you sent to so you have a record when you get home.
Hints and tips:
- No special cell phone is needed, just one that can send sms text messages.
- Put DropCard 41411 into your phone’s address book so you don’t have to remember these things
- You can go into Settings on mydropcard.com and add other phone numbers to be able to send to your drop
- You don’t need to use your phone! When you get back to your computer you can send ‘drops’ directly from mydropcard.com. Click on the ‘Contacts’ button and you’ll see an area to enter your information
- DropCard makes a cool ‘ice breaker’ at networking events
- GMAIL USERS: As of this writing, GMail doesn’t import vCards (lame, I know) so you need to convert them to a CSV file. Fortunately there is an online converter vCard to CSV Converter that makes it dead simple.
- Don’t miss the shortcuts!
Pricing starts with 15 free Drops per month and increases at nominal amounts from there. Here is a chart:
Be sure to check out DropCard and sign up before you next event!