Tech News – October 23rd 2012 to October 24th 2012
Tech news – October 23rd 2012 to October 24th 2012:
- Sharon Vaknin(Credit: Dan Farber/CBS )
Just got a third-gen iPad? Apple might be willing to exchange it.
In an unexpected move, Apple refreshed its 10-inch iPad today, leaving many third-generation iPad owners groaning at a suddenly subpar device.
Apple customers like Roger Cheng have (until now) slept soundly knowing that any Apple product purchased is the “latest and greatest” for at least one year. Today, Apple killed that notion.
Considering the fourth-generation iPad offers relatively incremental upgr… show all text
- Marissa Mayer and the art of the earnings call | MediaFile | Analysis & Opinion | Reuters.com-
- Kevin KelleherEditor’s note: This piece originally appeared on PandoDaily.com. It is republished here with permission.
Conference calls discussing corporate earnings are often like political debates: An hour or so of jargon as dry as dirt. But much like the this year’s presidential debates, Yahoo’s earnings call Monday promised to be worth tuning into, if for no other reason that this was Marissa Mayer’s first and best chance to make her case for reviving the company. And like the debates so far, Mayer did n… show all text
- Zynga CEO Mark Pincus Confirms Layoffs: 5% of Workforce, Potential Closures For U.K., Japan Offices | TechCrunch-techcrunch.com
- Kim-Mai CutlerZynga confirmed that it started laying off U.S.-based employees ahead of what is expected to be a weak third-quarter earnings report. In all, 5 percent of the company’s full-time workforce is being let go. As of the second quarter, the company had 3,200 employees so the final tally is probably close to 160 employees.
The key details are that the company is sunsetting 13 games and is significantly reducing its investment in its life simulation game The Ville, which as we reported earlier is being show all text
- The Tablet Pricing Spectrum: Kindle Fire To Nexus 7 To iPad Mini-
- Danny SullivanAs expected, Apple announced its new iPad Mini today. One of the key areas being watched was pricing. For the seriously price conscious, the iPad Mini doesn’t look to be a game changer. Comparative prices below, along with technical specs pitting the iPad Mini against its rivals. Much was… Please visit Marketing Land for the full article.
- Times Must Aggressively Cover Mark Thompson’s Role in BBC’s Troubles | The Public Editor – NYTimes.com-
- By MARGARET SULLIVANHow can The Times best cover its embattled incoming C.E.O.?
- Obama Drops Social Networks From Cybersecurity Plan | TechCrunch-
Facebook, Twitter, eBay, and PayPal can breathe a sigh of relief: President Obama has apparently conceded to congressional critics on cybersecurity legislatio..
- Paid Blogger | TechCrunch-
Hey.My name is Michael Arrington. For newer readers who don’t know, I founded TechCrunch back in 2005. Last year I was fired and began writing on Un..
- In Mobile World, Tech Giants Scramble to Get Up to Speed-
- By CLAIRE CAIN MILLER and SOMINI SENGUPTACompanies like Google, Microsoft and Intel are scrambling to reinvent their businesses now that the old model — a customer sitting at a PC — no longer applies.
- Twitter Blog: The Final 2012 Presidential Debate-
- twitterTonight, the presidential candidates came together for the last of the debates to discuss foreign policy. And while it was a busy evening with several events competing for viewers’ attention, the political conversation on Twitter remained strong with 6.5 million Tweets sent about the 90-minute debate this evening. Specific moments generating the greatest volume of conversation throughout the night were: –105,767 TPM – 9:45pm EDT – Obama: “We also have fewer horses and bayonets” –102,339 TPM - show all text