Tech News – October 22nd 2012 to October 23rd 2012
Tech news – October 22nd 2012 to October 23rd 2012:
- Yahoo Q3 Beats Expectations In Mayer’s First Full Quarter As CEO: $1.2B Revenue, Non-GAAP EPS $0.35 | TechCrunch-
- Colleen TaylorYahoo today reported its financial results for the third quarter of 2012, its first full quarter with new CEO Marissa Mayer at the helm. Mayer is back at work full-time after taking a short maternity leave following the birth of her first child, and is expected to speak about the financial results on her first conference call with Yahoo investors as CEO later this afternoon.
In all it was a solid quarter for Yahoo: The company made $1.2 billion in GAAP revenue, down slightly from the $1.22 bill… show all text
- Ancestry.com Was Just Acquired for $1.6 Billion – Technology – The Atlantic Wire-
So genealogy websites are apparently a lucrative proposition, as Ancestry.com has been acquired by European private-equity firm Permira for $1.6 billion, which is a little over 1.5 Instagrams and about as much as Google paid for YouTube.
- Update: Amazon Web Services Down In North Virginia — Reddit, Pinterest, Airbnb, Foursquare, Minecraft And Others Affected | TechCrunch-
- Romain DilletWhat started as a small issue affecting some instances of Amazon’s Elastic Cloud Compute (EC2) in North Virginia became a full-blown outage of AWS in North Virginia. Major services, such as Reddit, Foursquare, Minecraft and Heroku, are down. GitHub, imgur, Pocket, HipChat, Coursera and others are affected.
Reddit experienced hiccups at first when only the Elastic Bloc System was affected, but then seemed to go back to normal for most people. It is now down again.
Many other services are now down show all text
- Jenkins, Koci Hernandez, Linch and Roberts elected to Online News Association Board – Online News Association-
- Jennifer MizgataWASHINGTON, D.C. — Members of the Online News Association (ONA), the premier digital journalism organization, elected four new members to its Board of Directors and re-elected three incumbents to two-year terms.
The newest members — Mandy Jenkins, Digital Projects Editor, Digital First Media; Richard Koci Hernandez, Assistant Professor New Media, UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism; Greg Linch, Special Projects and News App Producer, The Washington Post; and Jim Roberts, Assistant Managing show all text
- Square Signs Lease For New Office In San Francisco to Accommodate 1000+ Employees, Will Move In Mid-2013 | TechCrunch-
Square has just announced plans for a new office in San Francisco. The mobile payments company, which is currently located in the Chronicle Building in downto..
- SAY Media Rebrands ReadWriteWeb As “ReadWrite”, Redesigns, Hires Dan “Fake Steve Jobs” Lyons As Editor In Chief | TechCrunch-
- Drew OlanoffI’m a fan of ReadWriteWeb, always have been, but other than not being able to pronounce the blog’s name, I’ve always appreciated the technical and detailed analysis coming out of the brand. SAY Media agreed and acquired it, and the property has undergone some serious changes. Gone is founder Richard MacManus, but coming in is a new Editor in Chief, Dan Lyons. You know him best as “Fake Steve Jobs.“
Along with a new name for the site, ReadWrite, Lyons told me last week that he wants to bring a n… show all text
- Rapture of the nerds: will the Singularity turn us into gods or end the human race? | The Verge-
- Outlawed by Amazon DRM « Martin Bekkelund-
- Martin BekkelundA couple of days a go, my friend Linn sent me an e-mail, being very frustrated: Amazon just closed her account and wiped her Kindle. Without notice. Without explanation. This is DRM at it’s worst.
Linn travels a lot and therefore has, or should I say had, a lot of books on her Kindle, purchased from Amazon. Suddenly, her Kindle was wiped and her account was closed. Being convinced that something wrong had happened, she sent an e-mail to Amazon, asking for help. This was the answer:
Dear Linn [l… show all text
- BBC News – Pages from Ceefax: Into the archives-
- Video – Breaking News Videos from CNN.com-
President Barack Obama talks to reporters about his upcoming State of the Union Address.
- Lance Armstrong Is Stripped of His 7 Tour de France Titles-
- By JULIET MACURThe International Cycling Union on Monday ratified a report on the cyclist by American antidoping officials, and Tour organizers planned to remove him from the record books.
- Tictail Raises $1.6m in Seed Funding to Target the UK Market-
- Jamillah KnowlesSwedish DIY ecommerce platform Tictail has raised €1.2 million ($1.6m) in seed funding and launched a subscription service so that users can sign up for updates from their favourite stores on the site.
The company’s seed round was led by Balderton Capital and Klause Hommels, members of its advisory board, including Spotify CPO Gustav Söderström and Tumblr COO Fredrik Nylander, have also made personal investments.
Tictail’s main markets at the moment are in the Nordics, Germany and UK. With the … show all text
- Amazon apparently discontinues Kindle Touch in favor of Paperwhite — paidContent-
- Laura Hazard OwenIt appears that Amazon is no longer selling the Kindle Touch, the touchscreen e-reader that preceded the front-lit Kindle Paperwhite. Amazon also seems to have discontinued the large-screen Kindle DX last week.
I’ve asked the company for comment, but the Kindle Touch’s product page lists it as “currently unavailable,” and a link points to “a newer model of this item,” the Kindle Paperwhite. The Touch is also no longer shown in Amazon’s Kindle lineup.
The change leaves consumers who want a Kindle show all text
- Seth’s Blog: No one ever bought anything on an elevator-
- Seth GodinIf your elevator pitch is a hyper-compressed two-minute overview of your hopes, dreams and the thing you’ve been building for the last three years, you’re doing everyone a disservice. I’ll never be able to see the future through your eyes this quickly, and worse, if you’ve told me what I need to know to be able to easily say no, I’ll say no.
The best elevator pitch doesn’t pitch your project. It pitches the meeting about your project. The best elevator pitch is true, stunning, brief and it leav… show all text