Tech News – October 21st 2012
Tech news – October 21st 2012
- Apple and Microsoft go head-to-head with tablet launches | Technology | guardian.co.uk –
- Jemima KissMicrosoft brings out Surface tablet with no-expenses-spared launch, while Apple prefers minimal PR strategy
It's the tale of two touchscreens this week as Microsoft and Apple go head-to-head launching their latest tablet devices. Microsoft has pulled out all the stops to convince the world that Surface is the small tablet to beat, with a no-expenses-spared New York event on Thursday. Apple, a notoriously secretive company, prefers a bafflingly minimal PR strategy that would utterly fail for any… show all text
- How We Fight – Cofounders in Love and War « Steve Blank –
- steveblankI often get asked about finding cofounders and I usually give the standard list of characteristics of what I look for in a founder. And I emphasize the value of a founding team with complementary skills sets – i.e. the hacker/hustler/designer cofounder archetype for web/mobile apps. But Jessica Alter, Cofounder & CEO of FounderDating, pointed out that cofounders did not mean two founders in the same room. She suggested that I was missing one of the key attributes of what makes successful sta… show all text
- Former US senator and Richard Nixon’s opponent George McGovern dies aged 90 – Americas – World – The Independent –
Former US senator George McGovern, the Democrat who lost to president Richard Nixon in 1972 in a historic landslide, has died at the age of 90.
- Google’s Crystal Ball – NYTimes.com –
- By SETH STEPHENS-DAVIDOWITZHow does the election look from the search window?
- Dashed Presidential Hopes, but a Life Devoted to Liberalism –
- By DAVID E. ROSENBAUMTo the liberal Democratic faithful, Mr. McGovern remained a standard-bearer well into old age, writing and lecturing even as his name was routinely invoked by conservatives as synonymous with what they considered the failures of liberal politics.
- Gosh, Who Talks Like That Now? Romney Does –
- By MICHAEL BARBARO and ASHLEY PARKERMitt Romney’s way of speaking is polite, formal and anachronistic, linguistically setting him apart, and influencing the word choices of those who work with and for him.
- Connecting the Dots in Libya –
- By MARGARET SULLIVANThough questions remain, The New York Times’s reporting on the Benghazi consulate attack has been strong.
- Twitter Boosts College Grades and Class Engagement [STUDY] –
- Lorenzo Franceschi-BicchieraiTwitter has been credited with — and blamed for — a lot of things. Supporters claim it fueled the Green Revolution in Iran and helped the Arab Spring, critics argue it's hurting our ability to write and think. There's no consensus on the former, but a new study now argues that the second claim is wrong. Twitter may actually give students an educational boost.
Christina Greenhow, an assistant professor of education at Michigan State University, discovered that students using the microblogging … show all text
- Top Facebook executive Joanna Shields resigns to head up London’s Tech City – Telegraph –
Joanna Shields, one of Facebook’s most senior executives, is to quit the social media giant and join David Cameron’s project to create a competitor to California’s Silicon Valley in East London.
- Sean Parker’s Airtime Startup Faltering [REPORT] –
- Anita LiAirtime, Sean Parker's social video network, is suffering from a stagnant user base.
Despite $33 million in funding and celebrity endorsements from the likes of Jimmy Fallon and Julia Louis Dreyfus, Airtime has struggled to gain traction since its launch four months ago. So far, it's attracted around 10,000 monthly active users, according to analytics site, AppData.
SEE ALSO: What I Learned on Airtime With Sean Parker
In an interview with The New York Times, however, Parker denied that Airtime … show all text
- i almost got in a fight about @highlightby scobleizer on SoundCloud – Create, record and share your sounds for free –
Listen to i almost got in a fight about @highlightby scobleizer | Create, record and share the sounds you create anywhere to friends, family and the world with SoundCloud, the world's largest community of sound creators.
- U.S. Officials Say Iran Has Agreed to Nuclear Talks –
- By HELENE COOPER and MARK LANDLERDirect talks would be a first, but with Iran unwilling to talk until after the election, there is a risk that the apparent breakthrough is only an effort to buy time.
- Early Pinterest Growth Was Driven By Grassroots Marketing – Liz Gannes – News – AllThingsD –
- Top 10 Ways to Disregard Authority and Stick It to the Man –
- Whitson GordonSome rules were made to be broken, especially when those rules were created by people trying to take control of your gadgets and internet. Here are ten ways we love to disregard authority in the name of freedom. More »
- NASA – NASA Chat: Orionids, Planets, Constellations Brighten October Skies –
The 2012 Orionid meteor shower will brighten the autumn skies on the night of Oct. 20-21. NASA astronomers will host an "Up All Night" Web chat.