Tech News – September 30th 2012
Tech news – September 30th 2012
- Suicide blast rocks Syria’s Kurdish city – Middle East – Al Jazeera English –
State TV reports four people killed near police barracks in Qamishli, as fierce fighting continues in Aleppo.
- Twitter / GeorgeTakei: It just doesn’t get much better … –
Instantly connect to what's most important to you. Follow your friends, experts, favorite celebrities, and breaking news.
- To Encourage Biking, Cities Lose the Helmets –
- By ELISABETH ROSENTHALDoes requiring safety gear make a safe activity seem dangerous?
- Why Apple took the risk with Maps — Tech News and Analysis –
- Olof SchybergsonApple has enjoyed a significant app ecosystem lead, but Android has now caught up. This removes a unique iOS selling point, and it also makes it easier for iPhone users to switch to Android when they next upgrade. Apple needs new control points, and mapping is a key answer for them.
As the mobile game is shifting from hardware to services, Apple needs to have more deep services of its own, rather than relying on competition. Important mobile service platforms include mapping, commerce and payme… show all text
- Cloud Expo Daily –
A newspaper by Cloud Computing Expo – updated daily with a curated selection of articles, blog posts, videos and photos.
- Seth’s Blog: Instead of outthinking the competition… –
- Seth Godinit's worth trying to outlove them.
Everyone is working hard on the thinking part, but few of your competitors worry about the art and generosity and caring part.
- A Trans-Atlantic Trip Turns Kafkaesque –
- By GARY SHTEYNGARTAmerican Airlines should no longer be flying across the Atlantic. It does not have the know-how or the equipment, and its employees have clearly lost interest in the endeavor.
- No Agenda Live Stream –
- Children killed in Kenya church attack – Africa – Al Jazeera English –
At least two children killed and two others wounded in Nairobi after suspected grenade attack on church.
- Take A Closer Look At The Icon For Apple’s Terrible Maps App – Business Insider –
- Many killed in string of Iraq attacks – Middle East – Al Jazeera English –
Bomb and gun attacks in multiple cities kill at least 25 people and leave more than 36 wounded, authorities say.
- Italians Take Up The Torch To Ignite Their Own Tech Startup Scene | TechCrunch –
- Mike ButcherLast year Italy’s official statistics bureau, ISTAT, produced a report on the state of the internet in Italy. It found that in world terms, Italy was below average in terms of Internet usage. The European average is 73% usage by population, but Italians were hovering around the 63% mark. But official statistics can be cruel and out of date – and it’s clear now to any observer on the ground that whatever is happening in the home market, Italian tech startups aren’t just shooting for their own co… show all text
- Learnable Programming –