Tech News – September 27th 2012 to September 28th 2012
Tech news – September 27th 2012 to September 28th 2012:
- MAXGIF: Stupidly Big GIFs –
- Kenyan forces surround Somali rebel bastion – Africa – Al Jazeera English –
- Body of missing Northwestern University sophomore Harsha Maddula found in Wilmette harbor – chicagotribune.com –
Northwestern University is asking for volunteers to continue the search for a missing college student as his family offered a $25,000 reward for information leading to his discovery.Volunteers in the search for Harsha Maddula, 18, who disappeared early Saturday after attending an off-campus party, are asked to meet atthe Seabury Building, 600 Haven St. in Evanston, at either 9 a.m. or 4 p.m., according to a release this morning from Northwestern. Northwestern University police will guide the se…
- Shocker! Marissa Mayer Has No Magical, Secret Plan to Save Yahoo | PandoDaily –
- Sarah LacyWe already put this in the PandoTicker, but it warrants a few more characters. Kara Swisher has published a year-old report on the future of Yahoo that is almost identical to the plan just laid out by new walk-on-water CEO Marissa Mayer.
This plan was written five CEOs ago. Think about that for a minute.
Now that it has sunk in, can we stop pretending that changing the person sitting in the CEO chair is a silver bullet to save a struggling company? This company has gone through painful revolving show all text
- Looking for the ‘Next Big Thing’? Ranking the Top 50 Start-Ups – WSJ.com –
Venture capitalists are still investing in flashy Internet start-ups, but the Next Big Thing is more likely to be a maker of humdrum Internet plumbing for businesses.The Wall Street Journal's annual ranking of the top 50 VC-backed companies shows a crop of contenders that are focused less on Web consumers than in the past.
- danah boyd | apophenia » Free Speech, Context, and Visibility: Protesting Racist Ads –
- zephoriaOn Tuesday, Egyptian-American activist Mona Eltahawy was arrested for “criminal mischief” – or “the willful damaging of property” – when she responded to disturbingly racist ads that were posted in the New York City subway system with spray paint. Her act of political resistance went beyond spray paint however. In some ways, it was intentionally designed to get the attention of the internet. When she encountered resistance from a person defending the ads – who clearly knew Mona and kept respond… show all text
- AOL’s Awesome Social Video Game is Like ‘Taboo With Friends’ –
- Christina WarrenIf you like the board game Taboo, you'll love AOL's new mobile social game, Clucks.
If you're not familiar with Taboo, it's a card game where you have a limited amount of time to describe a word to your teammate. The catch is you can't use the word itself, or a selection of additional words on the card.
Clucks [iTunes link] modernizes that concept for the world of smartphones, video and social gaming. Think of it as "Taboo With Friends."
The iPhone game works like this:
You are given a word to show all text
- Join the Movement – App.net –
App.net is a different kind of social platform. We're building a real-time social service where users and developers come first, not advertisers. Help us create the service we all wish existed.
- Justice Department’s Warrantless Spying Increased 600 Percent in Decade | Threat Level | Wired.com –
- David KravetsSource: American Civil Liberties Union
The Justice Department use of warrantless internet and telephone surveillance methods known as pen register and trap-and-trace has exploded in the last decade, according to government documents the American Civil Liberties obtained via a Freedom of Information Act claim.
Pen registers obtain, in real time, non-content information of outbound telephone and internet communications, such as phone numbers dialed, and the sender and recipient (and sometimes sub… show all text
- Post-PC Developments | ZDNet –
- Microsoft invests in Klout; integrates data into Bing | ZDNet –
Summary: Microsoft's Bing team is teaming up with social-media vendor Klout in the name of social-influence and big data.