Tech News – September 27th 2012
Tech news – September 27th 2012
- Join the Movement – App.net –
App.net is a different kind of social platform. We're building a real-time social service where users and developers come first, not advertisers. Help us create the service we all wish existed.
- Announcing the App.net Developer Incentive Program | App.net –
- Dalton CaldwellTwo important properties of a successful software platform are:
A financially sustainable business model that can support both the platform and 3rd-party developers.
Aligned financial incentives between the platform, users and developers.
History shows us that when these two properties are absent from a developer ecosystem, Bad Things can happen. It is because of these fundamental beliefs about what makes a social platform successful and sustainable that App.net was created.
We envision a devel… show all text
- Office of Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. – Newsroom –
- J.K. Rowling’s new ebook: Literally unreadable — paidContent –
- Laura Hazard OwenUpdate, 2:30 PM: Hachette confirmed that the problem was on its end, not Amazon’s, and that the problem was across all ebook retailers. “There was an issue with the file (no issues reading the book, just adjusting the type), but that has been corrected and is fully adjustable/functional for all those who have purchased the e-book and for those who will purchase it in the future,” Hachette executive director of publicity Nicole Dewey told me. But that’s not true: If you’ve already bought the ebo… show all text
- Shock Photos of Netanyahu at U.N. from AP, Reuters | The Weekly Standard –
Read conservative news, blogs and opinion about AP, Benjamin Netanyahu, Bibi, Israel, Reuters and UN from The Weekly Standard, the must read magazine available in online edition.
- BetaKit » CrowdHall Launches Townhall Platform to Help Voters Connect With Politicians –
- Gideon HaydenWith 41 days left until the next U.S. election, both the Democratic and Republican campaigns are looking for ways to get a leg up in the polls. There are the obvious ways candidates can get their messages out, including enlisting volunteers to canvas or communicating via Facebook or Twitter, but what generally lacks from these interactions is the voter’s ability to address their issues directly with candidates. Top-down communication is abundant, but there aren’t as many ways for a regular citi… show all text
- Growing Its Influence, Klout Gets Strategic Investment From Microsoft — And Serious Bing Integration | TechCrunch –
- Eric EldonKlout hasn’t just defied influential tech pundits, its social reputation scorecard has won them over. Now the sometimes-controversial startup is aiming at search. The startup has just signed a strategic investment and partnership with Microsoft that, on top of new funding, will create a product and business relationship with the Bing team.
You’ll begin seeing Klout scores — the combined measure of a person’s influence across Twitter, Facebook and other social networks — show up in the search en… show all text
- Twitter / MarsCuriosity: A River Ran Through It. I found … –
Instantly connect to what's most important to you. Follow your friends, experts, favorite celebrities, and breaking news.
- Five reasons why media companies should pay attention to The Atlantic — Tech News and Analysis –
While it has gotten attention recently for the launch of its new online business offering, Atlantic Media has been making a lot of innovative and interesting moves in transforming its business from print to digital — moves that other media companies would do well to emulate.
- Instagram Beats Twitter In Daily Mobile Users for the First Time – Mike Isaac – Social – AllThingsD –
- Mike IsaacPictures beat words: In August, U.S. smartphone owners visited Instagram from their smartphones more frequently and for longer periods of time than they visited Twitter.
That data comes from comScore, via a new mobile measurement report: It says that throughout August, Instagram had an average of 7.3 million daily active users — or DAUs, in Facebook parlance. That tops of Twitter’s 6.9 million DAUs over the same period of time.
What’s more, the average Instagram user spent 257 minutes accessing… show all text
- Quartz’s practice of ‘linking out’ renews attention to aggregation debate | Poynter. –