Tech News – September 20th 2012 to September 21st 2012
Tech news – September 20th 2012 to September 21st 2012:
- Actress sues over anti-Islam video – Americas – Al Jazeera English –
Cindy Lee Garcia is suing presumed director and YouTube, alleging fraud, slander and infliction of emotional distress.
- Redpoint e.ventures Leads Minuto Seguros’ Series A –
Brazilian online insurance broker Minuto Seguros has closed a Series A round led by Redpoint e.ventures.
- Three Generations of a Hackneyed Apologia for Censorship Are Enough | Popehat –
- KenIn her Los Angeles Times opinion piece justifying prosecution of the author of the "Innocence of Muslims" video on YouTube, Sarah Chayes opens exactly the way I've come to expect:
In one of the most famous 1st Amendment cases in U.S. history, Schenck vs. United States, Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. established that the right to free speech in the United States is not unlimited. "The most stringent protection," he wrote on behalf of a unanimous court, "would not protect a man in show all text
- Dreamforce – YouTube –
- SingTel Acquires Intelligent, Social Photo Aggregator Pixable For $26.5 Million | TechCrunch –
- Leena RaoSingaporean telecommunications giant SingTel has acquired intelligent, social photo aggregator Pixable for $26.5 million. The company develops sleek social photo creation, aggregation, and categorization tools.
Pixable’s Photofeed Facebook app and companion mobile apps intelligently sort and categorize your friends’ Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Flickr photos, as well as Facebook, Vimeo, and YouTube videos.
The company, which was founded by three MIT graduate students in 2009, uses predicti… show all text
- Election Forecasts – FiveThirtyEight Blog – NYTimes.com –
FiveThirtyEight is devoted to rigorous analysis of politics, polling, public affairs, sports, science and culture, largely through statistical means.
- The disappearing web: Information decay is eating away our history — Tech News and Analysis –
- Mathew IngramOne of the characteristics of the modern media age — at least for anyone who uses the web and social media a lot — is that we are surrounded by vast clouds of rapidly changing information, whether it’s blog posts or news stories or Twitter and Facebook updates. That’s great if you like real-time content, but there is a not-so-hidden flaw — namely, that you can’t step into the same stream twice, as Heraclitus put it. In other words, much of that information may (and probably will) disappear as n… show all text
- Do – get work done. –
- Why There Is A Visible Relationship Between Mobile Apps And Cloud Computing | CloudTweaks –
- GregoryWhy There Is A Visible Relationship Between Mobile Apps And Cloud Computing
In the last decade, cloud computing has grown immensely. Private companies, individuals, and non-profit organizations have adopted various cloud solutions in equal measure. The most common among these have been the hosting-based applications. More and more companies host their applications in the cloud. Similarly, there has been an increasing demand coming in from mobile users. The relationship between mobile apps use a… show all text
- Introducing the Salesforce Marketing Cloud – Salesforce Blog –
- Joe CiaralloToday we unveiled the Marketing Cloud — the most comprehensive suite for social marketing. Now, for the first time, marketers can manage social listening, content, engagement, advertising, workflow, automation and measurement all within one powerful suite. The Marketing Cloud harnesses the power of industry leaders Radian6 and Buddy Media, and will transform marketing for the social revolution, from the CMO to the community manager. Currently 55% percent of the Fortune 100, as well as brands… show all text
- Explore – “Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates… –
“Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.” Truth from Stephen King, hand-lettered by Lisa Congdon – who has a brilliant…
- Insites: The Book | Viewport Industries –
- Work.com –
- The verdict on Apple’s new map app: Compared with Google Maps, it sucks – Apple 2.0 – Fortune Tech –
- Philip Elmer-DeWittApple took a big risk when it replaced the iPhone's second-most popular feature
FORTUNE – "Here's the thing," Daring Fireball's John Gruber wrote in May when 9to5Mac first reported that Apple (AAPL) was about to replace Google's (GOOG) iOS Map app with its own. "Apple's homegrown mapping data has to be great. Mapping is an essential phone feature. It's one of those handful of features that almost everyone with an iPhone uses, and often relies upon."
The centrality of mapping (second MORE
- Twitter’s New iPad App: The Old & New, The Good & Bad –
- Danny SullivanTwitter has a new iPad app out for the service. Some hate it already. Certainly it feels less “iPad-like” than the old one, in that you can’t just swipe around with a finger to go between content. But the app does have nice benefits in learning about others or discovering… Please visit Marketing Land for the full article.
- Apple’s iOS 6 due for release at 1 p.m. Eastern, 10 a.m. Pacific – Apple 2.0 – Fortune Tech –
- Philip Elmer-DeWittThe company is hoping to avoid a logjam on Friday, when the iPhone 5 goes on sale
FORTUNE — iOS 6, the newest version of Apple's (AAPL) iPhone/iPad software platform, is scheduled to arrive today, Wednesday Sept. 19. The timetable below was created by Absinthe Jailbreak's Gamel Sabry and posted here. Check it to see when software update will be released near you.
Filed under: Apple 2.0