Tech News – July 31st 2012 to August 4th 2012
Tech news – July 31st 2012 to August 4th 2012:
- Zuckerberg’s No Longer a Top 10 Tech Billionaire –
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg had a tough week: His sister went to work for his top competitor, Google, his company's stock price hit a new low and now he h
- Cleaning up Microsoft’s Metro mess | ZDNet –
Summary: Microsoft's explanation that Metro was a "code name" is laughably bad spin. The company's sudden decision to throw the term down the memory hole is strange, and developers deserve a full, honest explanation of the reasons behind the change.
- Edelman Appoints Adam Hirsch SVP, Emerging Media and Technology | Edelman Digital –
- Edelman DigitalEdelman DigitalFormer Mashable COO Will Aid Edelman Digital in Identifying New Potential Opportunities for Clients and Firm
August 2, 2012, NEW YORK, NY: Edelman, the world’s largest public relations firm, announced today that Adam Hirsch will join Edelman Digital as senior vice president of Emerging Media and Technology, effective August 6th. In the newly created position, Hirsch will help operationalize new partnership opportunities, platforms and technologies on behalf of Edelman Digital’s c… show all text
- Huffington makes her tablet magazine free, after five issues | Capital New York –
The magazine, O'Brien announced during a companywide meeting Wednesday afternoon, has switched to an unpaid model.
- Windows 8 has reached the RTM milestone –
- Brandon LeBlancToday, I am excited to announce that Windows 8 has been released to manufacturing (RTM)! This means we’ve completed the product development and testing of the product and have started handing off the final code to our OEM partners. They can now begin preparing new Windows 8 PCs and devices they’ll introduce starting with General Availability. For more on RTM, I suggest reading this blog post from Steven Sinofsky on the Building Windows 8 blog.
So when will folks be able to get their hands on … show all text
- Sign In –
Powerful free e-mail with security from Microsoft – Windows Live Hotmail is a best in class e-mail service that helps you organize and manage all your online stuff in one place
- Twitter Blog: Our approach to Trust & Safety and private information –
- TwitterWe want to take a moment to explain some of our general Trust and Safety policies and procedures, and address the specific case at hand that has unfolded over the past 48-hours (we normally don’t address matters pertaining to individual accounts for the privacy of the account, but here the relevant communications are now public). When our Trust and Safety team receives a report from a user explaining that his/her private personally-identifiable information has been posted on Twitter, we invest… show all text
- From Twitter – Windows 8 Released to Manufacturing today http://t.co/zg6fiaip
- The Twitter Hijacking of Stocktwits $ …The Cashtag | Howard Lindzon –
- HowardIt’s interesting that Twitter has hijacked our creation of $TICKER ie. $AAPL. It only took four years to ‘fill‘ this hole, though a few months back they told me in a detailed email it was not a hole they wanted to fill.
You can hijack a plane but it does not mean you know how to fly it.
Twitter is about advertising dollars. They have $1 billion of venture money on the line. Lot’s of pressures I am not interested in.
Go check out $HIT or $WAG (walgreen’s) on Twitter search or thousands of other … show all text
- Jonah Lehrer Resigns From The New Yorker After Making Up Dylan Quotes for His Book – NYTimes.com –
- By JULIE BOSMANMr. Lehrer said in a statement announcing his resignation: "The lies are over now. I understand the gravity of my position. I want to apologize to everyone I have let down, especially my editors and readers."
- NBC’s No. 1 Tweeting Critic Has Been Suspended From Twitter –
Guy Adams is The Independent's Los Angeles bureau chief. During the Olympics so far, he has carved out a nice spot on the how-much-NBC's-coverage-sucks beat. Now his Twitter account has been suspended—supposedly because NBC had it cut off after he complained: