Tech News – June 20th 2012 to June 23rd 2012
Tech news – June 20th 2012 to June 23rd 2012:
- Google to launch Amazon, Microsoft cloud rival at Google I/O — Tech News and Analysis –
- Om MalikGoogle is very likely to launch a cloud services platform at its annual developer conference, Google I/O next week in San Francisco. It was one of the topics of discussion in the hallways of our Structure 2012 conference. We have since confirmed with multiple sources who are familiar with Google’s plans which include a more comprehensive offering that its current app engine and storage offerings. The Mountain View, Calif-based Internet giant declined to comment.
In early May, my colleague Derri… show all text
- Pay attention to what Nick Denton is doing with comments » Nieman Journalism Lab –
- Clay ShirkyAs comment bait goes, I’m a Gay Mormon Who’s Been Happily Married for 10 Years is a corker. That’s Gawker’s headline for a piece by Joshua Weed (excerpted from a longer version posted on Weed’s own site) about how he balances his homosexuality, his marriage to a woman, and his Mormon identity. Once up on Gawker, it quickly attracted several hundred comments.
As you might imagine, some of those comments are moronic. One read, in its entirety, “lol mormons.” Some are grating: “…the idea of putting show all text
- Twitter Blog: Today’s turbulence explained –
- twitterNot how we wanted today to go. At approximately 9:00am PDT, we discovered that Twitter was inaccessible for all web users, and mobile clients were not showing new Tweets. We immediately began to investigate the issue and found that there was a cascading bug in one of our infrastructure components. This wasn’t due to a hack or our new office or Euro 2012 or GIF avatars, as some have speculated today. A “cascading bug” is a bug with an effect that isn’t confined to a particular software element, … show all text
- From Twitter – In-Flight Connectivity Qantas trialing iPads for everyone on board. http://t.co/08TjeYaO
- New La. law: Sex offenders must list status on Facebook, other social media – CNN.com –
A new Louisiana law requires sex offenders and child predators to state that criminal status on their social networking pages.
- 21 Pictures That Will Restore Your Faith In Humanity –
People aren't always awful. Sometimes, they're maybe even just a little bit wonderful. Here are 21 pictures to remind you of that fact.
This picture of Chicago Christians who showed up at a gay pride parade to apologize for homophobia in the Church.
… and the reaction from the parade.
This story about Japanese senior citizens who volunteered to tackle the nuclear crisis at Fukushima power station so that young people wouldn't have to subject themselves to radiation.
This picture of two show all text
- Governor Statement on Lana’i Sale — Office of the Governor –
- Twitter / colerise: Pier 29 fire! Roof collaps –
Instantly connect to what's most important to you. Follow your friends, experts, favorite celebrities, and breaking news.
- Action.IO –
Action.IO is a cloud-based development environment platform with a web-based IDE and cloud VMs, and supports Ruby, Python, Node.js and more.
- Microsoft’s Windows Phone 8 finally gets a ‘real’ Windows core | ZDNet –
- Mary Jo FoleyThe rumors were true: Windows Embedded is out and the Windows NT kernel is in with Microsoft’s Windows Phone 8.
- Reading Rainbow Returns As A Startup And An iPad App | TechCrunch –
- Anthony HaBack in 2009, NPR ran a story titled “‘Reading Rainbow’ Reaches Its Final Chapter.” At the time, that probably seemed like a reasonable headline — after all, after 26 years, the beloved TV show was going off the air, the victim of changing government funding priorities. But it looks like there’s actually a lot more to the Reading Rainbow story, and its next chapter is starting in earnest today, with the launch of a new iPad app.
The app was created by RRKidz, a startup co-founded by Reading Rai… show all text