Tech News – April 20th 2012 to April 23rd 2012
Tech news – April 20th 2012 to April 23rd 2012:
- The Flight From Conversation –
- By SHERRY TURKLEWe use technology to keep one another at distances we can control: not too close, not too far, just right: the Goldilocks effect.
- Instagram // ben’s blog –
- Ben HorowitzNow what the hell is you lookin’ for? Can’t a young man get money anymore? Let my pants sag down to the floor Really do it matter as long as I score? —Mase, Lookin’ at me
Two years ago we invested $250,000 in Instagram. Thanks to the spectacular vision and effort of Kevin Systrom and the Instagram team, the investment will be worth $78,000,000 when the Faceboook acquisition closes. The work that Kevin and team did will go down as legend in the industry and we thank them immensely. We also thank show all text
- Wal-Mart Hushed Up a Vast Mexican Bribery Case –
- By DAVID BARSTOWConfronted with evidence of widespread corruption in Mexico, top Wal-Mart executives focused more on damage control than on rooting out wrongdoing, an examination by The New York Times found.
- The day software ate Cisco | ZDNet –
- Phil WainewrightIt hasn’t happened yet. It’s another of my predictions. But it suddenly struck me this week, as I read about the latest developments in cloud networking. Five or so years from now, the day will come when Cisco will have shrunken almost to nothing, eaten by software.
Marc Andreessen’s phrase, “software is eating the world,” coined for a Wall Street Journal article last August, succinctly captures the single most important trend in our world today — not only in computing but in the entire field of show all text
- http://cdn.flamehaus.com/Valve_Handbook_LowRes.pdf –
- The Top of My Todo List –
- How Andreessen Horowitz Bunted on an Instagram Investment – NYTimes.com –
- By NICOLE PERLROTHThree years into his new gig as a venture capitalist, Marc Andreessen has already scored big wins on his investments in Skype, LinkedIn and, if all goes well, Twitter. But he does not always win. Here is the tale of how one of Silicon Valley's most prominent investors bunted on Instagram.
- Reuters applies foreign exchange rate to 50 Cent. He is now k… on Twitpic –
- Apple Marketing SVP Phil Schiller dumps Instagram over expansion to Android | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence –
- 9to5MacTwitter co-founder Jack Dorsey is not the only photo-loving business executive upset by Instagram in recent weeks. While Dorsey stopped posting photos from his Instagram after Facebook reportedly beat his Twitter to an acquisition of Instagram, Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller quit his Instagram for another reason: Android.
A reader noticed that Schiller had deleted his Instagram account – which was “@schiller” – and then reached out to Apple’s most visible public speaker by Twitter for show all text
- Instagram Has ‘Jumped the Shark,’ Says Top Apple Exec [UPDATED] –
- Chris TaylorThe $1 billion photo-sharing app Instagram — once named “app of the year” by Apple — has now “jumped the shark,” according to Apple’s marketing chief Phil Schiller.
And not only is Schiller trashing the service (in a brief message to Apple enthusiast Clayton Braasch), he has also deleted his Instagram account (@schiller) entirely (much like some thousands of other users.)
What got Schiller so upset? Not the billion-dollar acquisition by Facebook, apparently. “It ‘jumped the shark’ when it went … show all text