Tech News – April 6th 2012 to April 7th 2012
Tech news – April 6th 2012 to April 7th 2012:
- True or false: Citrix is more compatible with AWS — Tech News and Analysis –
- Randy Bias, CloudscalingThe hubbub around Tuesday’s Citrix announcement has died down a bit, but I’d like to highlight one particular area of confusion: the cavalier use of phrases like “AWS compatibility” and “Amazon-style architectures.” These terms have been used interchangeably, but are they really the same thing?
As part of the Citrix announcement, Sameer Dholakia, their general manager of cloud platforms said:
“….we believe the biggest winners in the Cloud Era will be clouds built on a platform that is designed … show all text
- Selling You on Facebook – WSJ.com –
Many popular Facebook apps obtain sensitive information about users—and users' friends—so don't be surprised if details about your religious, political and even sexual preferences start popping up in unexpected places.
- Why Gamification Can’t Be Stopped –
- Sam LairdFrom recycling, to personal health, to corporate culture, gamification is seeping into all aspects of everyday life. The practice of applying game mechanics to non-game contexts — for example fandom, separating trash from glass or meeting company goals — has exploded in the past few years.
Since the beginning, the California-based company Bunchball has been at the emerging industry’s forefront and today works with companies including including Comcast, the Los Angeles Kings, Hasbro and Warner B… show all text
- NBC Fires Producer of Misleading Zimmerman Tape – NYTimes.com –
- By BRIAN STELTERThe network reacted to the furor that erupted after it was revealed that its edit took George Zimmerman's comments on Trayvon Martin's race out of context.
- The blood, sweat, and tears of living the startup life. « Chris McCann’s Personal Blog –
- Chris McCannTLDR: Startups are unimaginably difficult. Tweet this.
Right now joining or starting a startup is the sexy thing to do, but don’t get fooled by the hype.
It’s so easy to get swept up in the great stories and lives of people like Mark Zuckerberg, Jack Dorsey, and Elon Musk & how successful their respective companies are. It’s tempting to sit in your bed at night dreaming of leaving your high paying banking or corporate job and heading west to Silicon Valley, leaving the cubicle farm to make a di… show all text
- Why Bob Woodward is wrong about the internet and journalism — Tech News and Analysis –
- Mathew IngramAnyone who has followed the media for the past half century or so knows that Bob Woodward is a giant in the field, one half of the legendary investigative team of Woodward and Bernstein — a man who helped to bring down a U.S. president and defined a generational shift in the practice of journalism. In other words, someone whose opinions on the craft of journalism are probably worth listening to. But should we believe him when he argues that the internet is not really of any benefit when it comes show all text
- Etsy Hacker Grants: Supporting Women in Technology | Etsy News –
- precipicePhoto by bitterfruitjewelry
Marc Hedlund is VP of Engineering at Etsy. He has managed engineers in Internet companies from coast to coast, and is currently writing a book for O’Reilly Media on engineering management.
Today, in conjunction with Hacker School, Etsy is announcing a new scholarship and sponsorship program for women in technology: we’ll be hosting the summer 2012 session of Hacker School in the Etsy headquarters, and we’re providing ten Etsy Hacker Grants of $5,000 each — a total … show all text
- Twitter Blog: Shutting down spammers –
- TwitterTwitter continues to grow at a record pace — we now have 140 million active users and more than 340 million Tweets each day. As our reach expands, we become a more attractive target for spammers. While spam is a small fraction of the incredible content you can find on Twitter, we know just how distracting it can be. We have previously discussed the ways we deal with spam on Twitter. Our engineers continue to combat spammers’ efforts to circumvent our safeguards, and today we’re adding another… show all text
- 2012 Update from the CEO – Investor Relations – Google –
- From Twitter – Google will turn your 2D videos to 3D. Must be HD first. Kind of kludgy and takes a while. http://t.co/DBLAvP5Q