Tech News – March 28th 2012 to March 31st 2012
Tech news – March 28th 2012 to March 31st 2012:
- Not an April Fool – Charlie’s Diary-
- Charlie StrossThere is an app, currently on the Apple app store as a free download, called Girls Around Me.
A couple of days ago, computer journalist John Brownlee wrote an essay about it explaining why he found it disturbing. I’d like to propose that it is symptomatic of a really major side-effect of our forced acculturation into Facebook’s broken model of human social interaction—a broken model shared by all the most successful social networks, by design—and that it is going to get much worse, until it kil… show all text
- By BRIAN STELTERCurrent TV said Friday afternoon that it had terminated the contract of its lead anchor, Keith Olbermann, scarcely a year after he was hired to reboot the channel in his progressive political image.
- Look how high this robot can jump!-
- Jason KottkeI followed a link to this video from Twitter. “Oh, a small jumping robot,” I thought, “I bet it hops over a chair or something.” Not even close. Check this out:Boston Dynamics is at it again…they did the Big Dog and cheetah robots as well. What are the odds that they change their name to Cyberdyne Systems in the next few years? (via @jcn)
Update: I did a quick calculation…if a 6-ft-tall human could jump as high as this robot relative to its height, they could jump 315 feet into the air, h… show all text
- From Twitter – RT @vergeTweetDeck taken down after user was allegedly able to access ‘hundreds’ of other accounts http://t.co/a5otYqhh
- Check out tonight’s CNET panel with top Silicon Valley investors | Bootstrap – CNET News-
- Paul SloanJoin us for our first CNET Community Series, where we’ll be talking all things startups.
- Who is the Route 29 Batman? This guy. – Rosenwald, Md. – The Washington Post-
The Batman pulled over last week on Route 29 in Silver Spring is a Baltimore County businessman who visits hospitals to entertain sick children. “It feels like I have a responsibility that’s beyond a normal person,” he says.
- Wind Map-
- BlueTales » JetBlue » Flight 191 Update-
- JetBlueThere are lots of questions and comments about the incident onboard Flight 191 yesterday (the details of which are now a matter of FBI investigation) and what protocol we have in place for such scenarios. Here are the top 10 questions we’re getting and the facts as we know them:
1. You’re saying it’s a “medical situation” but isn’t it a security issue? Initial reports indicated that Flight 191 was diverting to Amarillo due to a medical situation. As the events unfolded, it became clear that sec… show all text
- Coping With Twitter’s Unfollow Bug | TechCrunch-
If you’re like me, you may have noticed that Twitter may be arbitrarily, randomly, and haphazardly, unfollowing people you fully intended to follow. Similarly, if you’ve ever noticed your friends and contacts unfollowed you, it may have caused a sense of confusion, dread, or self-insecurity. Before one spirals into a series of apologies or deep-depression, it’s likely not your fault, (whew!).What’s causing this? I’m not sure, so I asked my proper contacts at Twitter who responded “This is a bug…