Google+ New User Kit
When you are brand new to a service it is nice to have someone guide you along. Here are a few great resources to get you started with Google+.
First, if you haven’t seen it, Google’s own video that gives an intro to Circles is worth a watch.
Next, have a look at their video about Hangouts
Now if you are ready to jump in, you need these excellent cheat sheets developed by Simon Laustsen
- I’m gathering tips in Evernote here: http://bit.ly/googleplustips
- Here is a good post on configuring your Circles for privacy: Five Steps to Configuring Privacy on Google+
- If you use the Google Chrome browser I highly recommend the Replies and More extension. It adds some subtle changes to the page that make it more functional like being able to reply right to someone without having to type their name.
Another Chrome must have is the Surplus extension. It gives you notifications but the main thing is that it lets you share very easily from any site.Note 10MAR2012: I no longer use the Surplus Extension. I recommend Share on Google Plus Page that lets you share to your profile or any of the pages you manage.
- New 10Mar2012: I’ve also been using Golden View for Google+ for a long time. I has some nice features like User Mute and Default Circle.
- If you want an easy way to search Google+, you can try this search engine for Google+: http://bit.ly/searchgplus
- Andrew Shotland has a HUGE list of tips here: http://www.localseoguide.com/google-plus-shortcuts-tips/
If you want to make your Google+ profile show up if someone searches for your Twitter name:
- On the Google+ home page, click on your name (left side next to your picture)
- Click Edit Profile
- Scroll way down until you see Other Names
- Click Other Names to bring up the edit box and enter your Twitter handle there.
- Optionally set who can see this. I’d set it to Anyone on the Web because anyone could find out anyway but you may have different ideas.
- If you are done editing your profile, click Done Editing at the top of the screen
- Tip: While you are on the profile screen you can go to ‘View Profile As’ which is really handy to be sure you are sharing what you think you are sharing.