Add Your Agenda To Your Gmail

Well that didn't take long! Google Calendar was released yesterday and here we have a Greasemonkey script for Firefox to put your agenda into your Gmail! Cool!.

This script isn't quite like others you may have used. There is a bit of set up to it and the instructions you'll find aren't that clear so here's how I got it up and running.

Obviously you'll need the Greasemonkey extension for Firefox. Then go get the Add Calendar Feed script. Got it? Ok.
Now go to your Google calendar and click the little drop down to the right of your calendar and choose Calendar Settings.
You'll want one of the XML links. The one you choose depends on whether your calendar has been made public or not. In my case I thought I'd try the Padres link because that one has the most data. Right-click on the XML link you want and click Copy Link Location.

Next we need to surf over to Google Bookmarks and create a new bookmark. Paste in your link, title it what ever you want and label it GMgcal (the label is critcal so don't forget!!).

Ok, we're almost home...
Open GMail (or refresh the page if you already had it open). You'll see the agenda section in red on the left. It may or may not be working. Either way, go up to your browsers tool bar and click Tools -> Userscript Commands -> GMgcal options. Since I told you to use GMgcal as your label you can click OK through the first screen. The next screen is where you the offset for your timezone. This is the offset from GMT. So, for example. Pacific time is GMT -8 so I'd enter -8 in this field. This controls how the times show up in your agenda in Gmail.

This is a pretty cool feature add. The Padres calendar is pretty big and the script seems to want to reload every time so it's a bit slow. Not slow enough that it prevents me from using email but delayed. Also, you can only have one calendar at a time but that's not a big deal to me.

Update 13 September 2007: I got a comment for a reader named Mike that says there are updated instructions for this. He says these instructions no longer work, because the GM script no longer works. There is a new version that DOES work however, with full instructions here:

Thanks Mike!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

30 Comments:

• This is a really neat tool, but there's a catch - it lists all my recurring events first, without their times (just the day of the week). Then it lists my singly scheduled events. This means I have to scroll pretty far down before I see what is going on today.

By Anonymous Dana, at 4/18/2006 10:02:00 AM

• very good instructions, thanks!

By Blogger Wired Dude Dave, at 4/18/2006 10:59:00 AM

• awesome, thanks!

By Blogger dwayne, at 4/18/2006 12:55:00 PM

• hmmm... not working too well for me... it says "no events found" but there are events that aren't showing up here.

By Blogger sodipodium, at 4/18/2006 10:44:00 PM

• Wow... That's "raw"! Nicely done. It seems to work great, but I don't have any recurring events (at this time) so I can't really say I've fully tested it, but this is great so far!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/19/2006 07:30:00 AM

• It's not working on mine yet. It's stuck saying "Agenda loading...." and it's been that way for a couple of minutes.

By Blogger Lissette, at 4/21/2006 06:44:00 AM

• Userscripts.org isnt working so I cannot get the script.

Thanks
    Tony Cai

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/21/2006 07:47:00 AM

• tks a lot. working just fine. my one wish that it would open above my quick contacts for easier viewing. i now have to scroll to the bottom.

i have vetted the quick contact list but i still want to know when people i chat with regularly are online. so i need to still scroll beyond the screen to review agenda.

it's just a wish. i'm really happy with the script. thanks again.

By Blogger Ujwala, at 4/22/2006 07:27:00 AM

• Same problem as Lissette - mine stays on "Agenda Loading...". Hope I can get it working, I'd love to add this functionality.

By Anonymous Mark, at 4/23/2006 08:41:00 AM

• userscripts still not working...internal server error.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/06/2006 08:57:00 AM

• Does anybody have mirror or something?
    Al google results are redirected to userscripts.org which is still offline :(

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/27/2006 05:29:00 AM

• I was getting the "Agenda loading" error as well, but I think it has to do with which XML link you are using as a bookmark.

My first try was the public one which didn't work. My second try was the private one, and now it works fine.

Also, you have to be on the Gmail page in your browser for the "User Script Commands" option to be active under the "Greasemonkey" option in Tools. I first tried it while I was still on this page and it was grayed out.

Finally, in Firefox 2.x, it appears the options are a little different. I didn't have to adjust the time zone. It seemed to figure this out on its own.

By Blogger Brian, at 3/23/2007 10:34:00 AM

• I can't find 'offset from GMT'.

By Anonymous maggot, at 3/24/2007 05:27:00 AM

• I use another script to clear out the ads from the right hand corridor of the page...it would be great if this was able to run on that side of the page keeping me from having to scroll down for Chat & Labels.

By Blogger Aaron, at 3/24/2007 08:59:00 AM

• Is anyone else getting an error that says "No Events Found"? I realized that my XML URL is being modified by Google Bookmarks. It appends a query string to the end (that starts with &ei=) which seems to screw up the processing of the calendar XML page. Any thoughts on this?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/24/2007 03:37:00 PM

• I'm the anonymous from the last message about the query string. I realized that it's not the query string that's screwing up the feed, but two different issues: the first is that all my events were marked "private"... changing them to "default" cleared it up. However, I also found that even after I changed them all, I was still getting the error as Google Calendar was including events from the past, and there were so many that there were no future events. Why would the XML from the calendar include events that occurred in the past?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/24/2007 07:55:00 PM

• all my all-day events (like birthdays or trips) are listed a day later than they are in my calendar. for example there is a birthday on my calendar on March 27, but it says March 28 in the Agenda. And a trip that is March 10-13 is listed as 11-14 in the agenda. Also in the setup it asked me how many events I wanted listed, but didn't ask me for the GMT offset.

By Blogger saramel, at 3/25/2007 06:59:00 AM

• Same problem here as saramel; the Agenda shows up great, but all the events are listed one day later. Any input? And my setup didn't have a GMT offset either... - loudlysilent.com

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/27/2007 01:30:00 PM

• Sorry people are having this day offset issue. I haven't been able to see what is causing that. If any one has an idea please leave a comment or email.
    Thanks

By Blogger Scott, at 3/27/2007 01:47:00 PM

• Sorry, I have no idea what the problem is, but I am having the problem as well. Otherwise it works very well. Good luck!

By Blogger Jan Studebaker, at 4/03/2007 10:08:00 PM

• I think I found the problem with events appearing one day later.
    When I set up the script, it didn't ask me for the GMT offset. I opened up the original code and searched for "offset." The first result was:
    parsed['gmtOffset'] = date.getTimezoneOffset();
    It looks to me like the function "getTimezoneOffset()" isn't working, so I replaced the right side of the equation with "-8;" because I am in PST. I saved the script and refreshed gmail and, voila, all the dates were correct!
    I know nothing about javascript, so there may be a better way to do this...

By Blogger ford, at 4/12/2007 09:07:00 AM

• Ford that is great news! Thanks for digging into the code like that. I'll have to test it as well.

By Blogger Scott, at 4/12/2007 05:18:00 PM

• well, this was working fine for me the last few days but now it says "no feed found." i deleted the google bookmark and started over from scratch but still nothing.

hmm....

By Blogger Russ, at 4/19/2007 03:19:00 PM

• checked and double checked all the steps, still getting the "Calendar URL not found. Please run Setup under Tools -> User Script Commands." error. anyone can shed some light on what i'm doing wrong? thank you

By Blogger toze, at 4/21/2007 05:02:00 PM

• I followed the directions but am getting the following message:
    Calendar URL not found. Please run Setup under Tools -> User Script Commands.
    Following those directions doesn't change anything. Ideas?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/02/2007 04:08:00 PM

• I'm getting the same "Calendar URL not found. Please run Setup under Tools -> User Script Commands." error. It *was* working just fine and then one day it just said "um, no". One thing that I am seeing is that when i click the link to my gcal *from* the google bookmark page i get the raw xml file (jsut the tree structure). however, if i copy the link and paste it to the address bar, it renders nicely as an rss feed. Anyone know why that is? And might it be related to the GMgcal problem?

By Blogger Owen, at 5/03/2007 08:04:00 PM

• I want Google Cal agenda in the same size and view as in Google Calendar.. Can that be done ?

Swaroop
    -http://swaroop.in

By Anonymous Swaroop, at 5/22/2007 11:53:00 PM

• These instructions no longer work, because the GM script no longer works. There is a new version that DOES work however, with full instructions here:

By Anonymous Mike, at 9/13/2007 09:05:00 AM

• i went through all the instructions only to find at the end that it doesn't work any more ... would have saved me some frustration to put that info at the top

thanks

By Blogger hay, at 7/10/2008 11:41:00 AM

• This doesn't seem to work anymore. I'd like to try it but it seems as though it's no longer compatible with gmail.

By Blogger Hannah, at 9/02/2008 02:34:00 PM